Sweat365 » Top 5 Ways To Avoid The Muffin Top
The Muffin Top: Fashion Craze Who’s Time has Past?
Why do women wear shirts that expose their midriff? Why do they wear pants that are so tight that their flesh comes over the top? “Muffin-top” is a generally pejorative, slang term used to describe the phenomenon of overhanging flesh when it spills over the waistline of trousers or skirt in a manner that resembles the top of a muffin spilling over its paper casing. This generally occurs when an individual wears low-rise, hip-hugger pants, or midriff-baring tops that are too small.
In November 2007 the BBC website published an article entitled “Is this the end of the muffin top?” in which they described a fashion trend for high-waisted shorts, trousers and mini skirts, which they believed would prevent the appearance of muffin tops. However, Laura Craik, fashion editor for London’s Evening Standard said that she didn’t think it spelled the end of the muffin top, but that “perhaps they will be in retreat for a while.”
An additional derivation is “Split Top Muffin” to describe seeing the “muffin-top” from behind with the jeans so low as to expose the top of the gluteal cleft.
In an episode of the NBC Sit-Com 30 Rock, Jenna Maroney records a song called “Muffin Top”, which becomes a chart-topper in Israel and Belgium. Although no one in the US appears to have heard of the song, Jenna is permitted to perform it on stage, which plays over the episode’s end credits.
You don’t really want a Muffin Top, do you?
Now that we know what muffin tops are and what they look like. We can finally address the problem. Even though “It’s the best part of a muffin,” I think most women want to avoid this look. The “Split Top Muffin.” is a definite fashion faux pas.
Here are my top 5 Ways To Avoid The Muffin Top
- Stop wearing super low rise jeans. Leave these to the teenagers. No one wants to see bulging flesh coming out of your jeans.
- Stop wearing midriff shirts. There shouldn’t be a gap of skin between your pants and your shirt, especially if you are over 30 years old.
- Cardio. Engage in aerobic activity 20 - 60 minutes on most days of the week. Muffin Tops are caused from excess bodyfat. While all of us have some natural curves, there is no reason to have flesh spilling outside your pants.
- Strength Train. Engage in resistance training 2-3 times per week. Do 1-2 sets, 8-12 exercises for all major muscle groups. Keep the repetitions between 8-15 to increase lean body mass. Increasing lean body mass speeds up your metabolism so you burn more calories.
- Eat Healthy. A lowfat diet that is high in fiber, low in saturated fats will help you avoid Muffin Top. Also don’t forget to drink plenty of water. A good rule is half your body weight in ounces.
I hope this fashion trend will soon end. I am tired of trying to find pants that fit. The other challenge is finding underwear to wear with these lowrise pants. Not all fashion trends work for everyone. Don’t be tempted to wear something because it’s “In Style”. Wear what looks good on you and you won’t regret it.
Wikipedia, Muffin Tops
Is This The End Of The Muffin Top? By Denise Winterman
YouTube, Lifesaver Muffin Top Commercial