Forums » General Training » Running

how often can you run a half marathon?

(4 posts)

1. So here's a question that I just can't seem to find an answer to...

I've been training for four months to run my first 1/2 marathon this coming Sunday (yeah me!!). So say i've done your average 12 week program to ramp up to the half...how much time should pass before I attempt the next one?

Do I have to go another 12 weeks?

I want to do a 1/2 the beginning of FEBRUARY, a 12 person relay (three legs of 3, 5, or 8 miles each to equal like 178 miles over 2 days) in APRIL, and another 1/2 in MID-JULY. So on average, 2 months btw each race. Is this feasible? Advisable? Can anyone offer any training plans to keep up the pace on half's...no desire (never say never tho!) to move on to the full...

Help!

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Good luck on your race on Sunday. Can't wait to read about it. Looking forward to someone answering your question. I heard that once you do a Half you are hooked.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Depending on your overall fitness and recovery period, 2 months in between half marathons is very reasonable, especially since you have taken the time to build a good base (4 months). Some rule of thumbs for post race recovery is 1 full day for each mile you run, then start building again. With that in mind you would have 2 weeks of recovery, 5 weeks to start building up again and 1 week of taper before the next run. The nice thing here about your build period is that you are not starting all over again (i.e., 4 months) - your long runs might start back out at 6 or 7 miles and topping out at 11 or 12 before the taper week begins.

Also, during the recovery period - for me, after a half, I will take at least 2-3 days off completely with stretching and hydrating. Then around days 3 or 4 start back walking or hitting the treadmill for 3 miles max.. slow pace, just getting the muscles moving again. That's the first week of recovery.

Have a great race!

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Great...sounds perfect! I was thinking of taking Monday and Tuesday off and then doing light yoga on Wednesday, a walk on Thurs, yoga on Fri, and then walking again on the weekend possible. After the week i'll take a look and see if i'm up for any light jogs or if I want to repeat the walking/yoga again for a second week.

Good luck to you on your race too Lassie! I picked up my race packet this morning and the temps were already pretty high. :( My other concern is all of our wild fires! TONS of smoke in various directions...the area i'm running in is thankfully like a little bowl in the middle lol. SO far the smoke it blowing north, away from out race area so...well, wish me luck! lol

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

Member Sign In

Sweat 365 is dedicated to supporting your every-day fitness, no matter what your level and no matter what your goals are.

We'll deliver you inspiration to move more - every day.

At Sweat 365 you can easily keep track of your workouts, blog about fitness and life, and connect with other athletes. You'll find training guides for races of all distances, disciplines, and levels of competition. Yes, even walking a race is competing!. Sign up here free